Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Dyson Here

Incredible Hulk #104..
The only relatively major non-sketch card pickup I added to August's just-arrived art-heavy lineup was the above Dyson Card from Thor: Ragnarok.  They are basically rip cards, though much, much easier to pull than Allen & Ginter.  Lot cheaper too.  This one was the cheapest on the site at the time and set me back a cool $3.75.
The back (I didn't scan it until after I already opened it)..
I'm glad the cheapest one available was from the best Hulk story ever imo.  Planet Hulk is where Bruce Banner's story ends as far as I'm concerned.  As you can see, it's all perforated & much easier to open without obliterating your card than A&G rip cards tend to be as well.
Open card surgery..
Here it is open.  According to Cardboard Connection's checklist, the basic pull is "Mini Comics" (1:2 Dyson Cards), with an ever-so-slightly rarer acetate parallel (1:3), Comic Creator Autographs fall 1:6 Dyson Cards, with acetates at 1:11, and the big score: Actor Autographs falling 1:39 (Hemsworth and Tessa Thompson can both be hit in there, as well as director Taika Waititi).  COMC shows non-autographed characters from the movie too, but I don't see them on the checklist anywhere, so I can't give you any odds on them.

Anyway, my pull came in a mini sleeve glued to the inside of one of the flaps that open up.  That's mighty sporting of them.  So what did we pull?
The mini(s)?!
Immediately I noticed there were two cards in the sleeve.  The card itself, and a COA, which means...
Mini backs, feat. auto goodness!
We hit a Ron Garney mini acetate autograph!  He is a fairly prolific artist and very occasional writer, almost entirely with Marvel.  It's hard to tell in the scan, but this is a sticker auto.  It's all on it though and he has pretty solid penmanship.

There are some huge legends on the creator checklist (Walt Simonson, Sal Buscema, etc), so this isn't the biggest pull.  But it's probably an $8-10 card, which more than double what I paid for the Dyson card.  I think almost anything you pulled would probably be at least worth the price of admission though if you pick one up for under $5, so there's no fear in breaking these the way there is with A&G.  And the potential to hit a monster is still there.

But enough pondering of the potential monetary value of things.  I'm not inclined to part with this right now, since it looks rad as heck fits nicely into the unofficial mini-PC I have going of creator autos from various Marvel products (I also have a few from that one CBLDF set from... almost a decade ago now).  I've barely bought anything but singles this year, so this probably qualifies as my best pull of the year to this point (looking it up, this is only the second auto & 4th "hit" overall that I've pulled in 2018, which is actually not terrible for how little I've opened).

I need some food and then some sleep, so I guess that's enough jibba-jabba for now.  Thanks for stopping by!

Until our next...

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations on finding a nice autograph. Love the who card within a card concept. I'm still looking for unopened boxes of Pinnacle Zenith Dare to Tear from the 90's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I would also love to find some Dare to Tear to tear into.

      Delete
  2. These are kind of neat, and actually do appeal to me, but I know if I bought any, I'd just end up with whatever the lamest thing possible to get inside my rip card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even the worst pulls aren't terrible. They mostly just look like what I pulled minus the auto on the back and the tiny bit of clearness the acetate provides.

      Delete
  3. I like what you guys are usually up too. This type of clever work and reporting! Keep up the great works guys I’ve incorporated you guys to my blogroll. https://twitchviral.com/

    ReplyDelete