Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Oversized Action

My first COMC shipment in June had an unexpected $3.99 off, so I was able to clear out all my oversized items and have it still come to pretty close to the same price as a normal shipment.  And so here they are.  Well, all the actually oversized ones.  There were a few that were just regular sized that cost more because they were already top loaded or encased or whatever.  Anyway, let's do this.
Heritage 5x7" Mookie Action Variation #'ed 22/49..
Leading off with a monster of a Mookie.  I dunno why they didn't do the burlap pattern on these jumbos, but whatever.  This has a couple minor dings that weren't mentioned or visible on COMC, but at $2.80 I was happy to get a nice Mookie for well over $4 less than any other card from this release was available for at the time (and possible still may be, I haven't checked in awhile), and I doubt most of the rest were all that minty fresh either.  It just happens with oversized cards sometimes.
1964 Topps Giants trade bait x1..
There's a lot of vintage in the middle of this post.  These first three are available for trade.
1964 Topps Giants trade bait x2..
They aren't in the best condition, but they don't seem to be outright poor like the COMC claimed.
1964 Topps Giants trade bait x3..
That likely made them much cheaper though.  I wouldn't likely have even noticed them at all otherwise.   But anyway, stake your claim.
1964 Topps Giants keeper..
Billy is a keeper though.  He cost me a little more, but was still plenty cheap enough.
1971 Topps Super Fergie Jenkins..
Fergie is also a keeper.  He is also super thicc for such an old card.  I didn't know these things were so solid & sturdy.  Like, the card is genuinely hard.  You could use it as a coaster if you wanted to.  You could do some legitimate damage flinging it at someone's face.  Are these analogies getting weird?
Chico Carrasquel Exhibits..
I'm on the fence about whether or not to keep Chico.  Condition-wise, he's got a bit of water damage but otherwise seems to be holding up remarkably well.  While it's not as hard or thick as the Super Fergie, these are definitely made of a good solid cut of cardboard.  I'm tempted to commit some blasphemy and draw on the blank back, so I guess you better take this off my hands if you want to save him from my mediocre art skillz. ðŸ˜‚
Cool backs, bro..
Speaking of that, I guess I might as well show off the backs of ye olden timey jumbo cards, since they are pretty nifty.  They have that newspapery article feel to them.  For you younglings, newspapers were basically papery political & sports blogs, just without a comment section full of swearing and name calling.  Anyway, those are the trader baiter backs.
Mr. Freshman..
This card is weirdly misshapen..
And here are my dudes.  I guess I should post the back of Chico too while I'm at it.
Empty! For now...
There's nothing there right now, but only you offering up something for it can keep it that way. Mwahahaha... Although, I suppose you could also offer up something for me to draw on it for you too, now that I think about it.  I dunno, are you also feeling blasphemous today? ðŸ˜‰
Gold Label 5x7" Papi Class 2 #'ed 11/49..
Finishing it off with the other Topps Online exclusive I found around the same time as the Mookie at the top of the post.  This one was also similarly dramatically cheaper than the rest of its set-mates.  It also has no visible damage and only cost me 50¢ (+ the buck for shipping)!  I'm not keen to give up this or Mookie, but I could be talked out of them, I suppose.  I don't really have anywhere to put them right now unless I slide them down the front of a binder or something.

Let me know if any of the actual or potential trade bait hooked ya and maybe we can work something out.  That's all for now.  Thanks for stopping by!

Until our next...

2 comments:

  1. The 1964 Topps Giants is one of my favorite vintage oddball issues. Simple yet beautiful design.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Normally I wouldn't be in a favor of such a thing, but since there seems to be no shortage of those old exhibits out there (and not a lot of interest from collectors), I'd kind of like to see you do something on the back of that Chico... especially if it was some sort of art with a vintagey feel/look to it.

    ReplyDelete