Thursday, August 2, 2018

COMC Odds & Ends- A&G Non-Sport Autos & Buyback Frankenset "Inserts"

I don't really have anything specific to post or show today, so you get a little sampling from my June & July COMC shipments that have been scanned so far.  As the title says, I picked up three new A&G non-sport autos & a few cards for my Buyback Repurposed Sketch Card Frankenset, and here they are.
2008 Todd Clever autograph..
Starting off with American rugby legend Todd Clever. Never expected to find this card so cheap because it was from the early days of Topps' Allen & Ginter line, but I'm very happy to have it.  All three were in the $5.50-$7 range, and this was the one in the middle.
1990 Bowman Buybacks..
We'll circle back to the Gintery goodness at the end, but before that, the buybacks.  I've mentioned I'm putting together a monster frankenset for artin' on in the past, and these are for the insert and hit pages.

Indeed, in addition to a 792 card base set, my set will also feature nine cards each of Bowman, A&G, miscellaneous football, non-sport, and autographed buybacks that are on stock that can be drawn on.  I'd do basketball, Donruss baseball, Topps Traded, & hockey too if I could, but I don't think there's enough of any of them out in the wild at cheap enough prices to worry about it (though my latest package from Jon from A Penny Sleeve... did include an '87 Traded card, so that page could end up being in play after all).
1989 Topps John Elway buyback..
It's hard to make out the stamping on this, but according to COMC, this is a 2003 Topps Fan Favorites Vintage Buyback.  Vintage used in the loosest possible terms, especially all the way back in 2003.  Seriously, 2003 is closer to 1989 than it is to 2018, and now we all get to feel old and miserable together.
The back..
It doesn't show up great on the back either, but yeah.  Obscure Hall of Fame buyback for under a buck.  I'll take it.
Topps Archives Autograph Buyback?!
Here is my first one for the autograph page.  Another oddity.  It seems to just be like any other stamped buyback randomly inserted into packs in 2016, even though it's an autograph you might pull from a box of the previous year's Archives.  Weird, but there are actually at least a half dozen other autos from various recent sets floating around the COMC ether, so it clearly wasn't a mistake on Topps' part.  None of the others are on drawable stock, unfortunately.  Nor are they near as cheap as this one was.  I only paid $1.20 for it.
Cheap Seats!
Getting into the home stretch of this post and back to the Allen & Ginter autos!  Both Sklar brothers signed for this set, but Randy was the only one in my price range at the time.  I must track down Jason someday though, because Cheap Seats is one of my favorite shows of all-time.  They also starred in the web series Back on Topps, which was also quite amusing and featured numerous cameos.
Classing up this joint with a lil legit A-List starpower..
And we'll close it out on a high with the autograph of a legitimate star for just $7!  From Hang Time to Kangaroo Jack to the self parody years of Law & Order to the present day and the wildly successful sitcom Black-ish, Anthony Anderson has been appearing on both the big and small screens on a pretty regular basis since the mid-'90s.  Absolutely stoked to have this card.

That's all for this one.  Thanks for stopping by!

Until our next...

10 comments:

  1. I've never seen one of those buyback autos before... poor Jeff Conine. So do you have something special planned for the back of those?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was definitely an unexpected find. Haven't thought of any specific, special plans for the autos yet.

      Delete
  2. Yeah, Update/Traded buybacks are actually not that unusual in my experience. Hockey buybacks appear to be a thing in Canada but not really here. The other categories you mention as hard/impossible to do you're probably right about. Maybe at some point Panini/Donruss will start a buyback program to fill the void from Topps stopping theirs.

    That Cinine auto is fascinating. A buyback of a retro auto. Makes me wonder whether there has ever been a buyback of a buyback.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, a buyback with like five different stamps on it would be amazing! 😂

      Delete
  3. Topps are buying back their Fan Favorite autographs? That's cardfoolery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was the only one from Fan Favorites. I imagine there are probably at least a few more out there somewhere though. The other five currently on COMC are from 2014 Topps Chrome and 2014 & 2015 flagship. The two I see currently available on eBay are from 2015 Heritage & 2015 Gypsy Queen.

      Delete
  4. I am not sure where you are getting your info, but good topic. I need to spend some time learning much more or understanding more. Thanks for excellent info. I was looking for this information for my Business.
    Cash for Cars Gold Coast

    ReplyDelete
  5. You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be really something which I think I would never understand. Instant Cash, Quick Services & Free Car Removal – sell cars for cash adelaide is All in One Company in SA! Get Your Car Sold Faster, Top Cash Payments Up To 9,999,

    ReplyDelete